Wee Quiz 4
- After the Jewish War 66-70 CE in Palestine, what further revolts occurred amongst the Jews against the Romans? Where and with what results?
- Which emperor succeeded Trajan, and what do we best remember him for? What father of the Church first addressed asking him to overlook false prophets and to trust the true Church?
- Who was Bar-Kokhba? And what was the shocking result of his rising in Palestine?
- Who were Aristides, Hegesippus, and Justin? Why does Eusebius praise them?
- Describe the Marcionite heresy. What bishop of Lyons consistently wrote against heresies?
- Describe Polycarp, his manner, his ecclesiastical appointment, his sufferings, his martyrdom.
- How did Crescens the Cynic come into conflict with Justin Martyr? What does Eusebius find especially vile about Crescens? How was Justin martyred?
- Why is it important for Eusebius to record the names of bishops of many sees, not just the four big ones? What do we learn about the early Church and its hierarchy and its fathers from this chapter
- When we examine the list of Melito’s works, what conclusions might we draw about his concerns?
- By the time we reach the end of Marcus Aurelius’s rule (180 CE), what is the condition of the material later to be called the NT “canon”? What materials still seem to be crucially important to the developing Church? Also, the year of Marcus Aurelius’s death marks the end of what major period? What does that suggest for the Church?
Please remember to decide on your three or four preferences from the potential reading list and any title you want to speak for to the other voters. We will address that matter before turning to Eusebius.