- Audio is available on Librivox
- Digital copy is available on Gutenberg.org (Two versions are available for viewing online or downloading.)
- As you read the introduction, think about what you already know about the Romans, from the Republic through the Empire.
- Why did Marcus spend so much time away from Rome dealing with tribes on the Danube and Rhine?
- Also, Marcus was the fifth of the Five Good Emperors: when did they rule? Why do we call them "good emperors"? What major error of Marcus's caused him to be the last of those five?
- What and when was the Pax Romana? How did it allow (even encourage) the spread of Christianity?
- Especially as you read Book 1, think about what your own Book 1 might include? What particular characteristics and virtues do you value? And to whom do you attribute those values? What family members, teachers, pastors, friends have most influenced your character?