- Who were the Zealots? And how did they differ from the three other main parties in 1st-century Palestine?
- Differentiate amongst these three leaders: John Levi of Gischala, Simon bar Giora, and Eleazar.
- What happened to the priests and other citizens who rose against the rebel Zealots?
- How did the Zealots use and treat the Temple, including the Holy of Holies?
- Why did Vespasian leave Palestine? Which legions remain to fight with Titus?
- What is Josephus’s role in the siege of Jerusalem?
- How do the Zealots undermine and consequently delay Titus’s stragegy for taking Jerusalem?
- Why does Titus build the three-days’ wall around Jerusalem? How long is the wall? How effective is it?
- How does famine affect the siege at Jerusalem? How many, approximately, died of hunger?
- Why does Titus crucify any of the captured? About how many die by crucifixion? How do the Zealots respond to these executions?
- Despite legends of Roman cruelty, what do we learn from Josephus about Titus’s desire to preserve many of the Jews?
Join Our Discussion