- What is a saint? (Pg. 230)
- Should people try to be saints or just good human beings? (Pg. 231)
- Where is the thinking and consideration of life itself? The sanctity of life?
- Do we make heroes out of people who are doing their job?
- Is it all meaningless? (Page 278 - next to the last paragraph)
- What is the plague? (Page 277)
And then, when the end came, the tears that blinded Rieux's eyes were tears impotence, and he did not see Tarrou roll over, face to the wall, and die with a short, hollow groan as if somewhere within him an essential chord had snapped.
(Narrator pg. 260)