Josephus The Essential Writings - a new translation by Paul L. Maier
-- George Payne
See how many you can answer easily after reading Josephus, but before we discuss in class.
1. When and where did Josephus live?
2. What kind of family did he come from, and how did he rise to prominence amongst the Romans?
3. According to Josephus, God forbade Adam and Eve to eat of what tree?
4. What exactly was the fruit they ate?
5. Whom did Cain and Abel marry, and why?
6. For what three reasons did God send the Flood?
7. How long did the Flood last?
8. Name the sons of Noah and what parcel of the earth each took after the division.
9. Why were Ham’s descendants cursed?
10. Name two Jewish food laws established during this section of our reading and the specific reasons for them.
11. Who was Nimrod?
12. Abraham originally came to Canaan from where?
13. God promised Abraham descendants as numerous as what?
14. What became of Ishmael’s descendants?
15. What evidence does Josephus offer for Lot’s wife having looked back?
16. Whom did Isaac marry, and which of her sons did she favor?
17. Why is the “ram in the thicket” so famous?
18. How did Jacob fool Isaac into giving him the blessing? Why couldn’t Jacob change what he had done?
19. Besides Abraham, to whom did God promise multitudes of descendants?
20. Besides Adam, who was named “red” for the color of the earth?
21. Jacob worked for Laban for seven years to win Rachel, but was given Leah instead. Why? Then how long did he work again for Rachel? All together, how long did Jacob labor for Laban?
22. What two sons did Rachel give birth to? What happened to them?
23. Which of Jacob’s sons tried to save Joseph?
24. How long between Joseph’s arrival in Egypt’s and Moses’ departure?
25. Name two persons buried at Hebron.